Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and purchase the item, we may receive an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products or services that we believe will add value to our readers and are aligned with our values.
Techniques you’ll learn
Embossing, Dye cutting, Stamping, Inking
(If you love the products used in this tutorial, click links to shop now! These are my personal favorites Plus, if you purchase the supplies through my affiliate links, you’ll not only support my channel, but you’ll also get everything you need to create your own beautiful handmade cards.)
- Hero Arts Looking Glass dies
- Cardstock in various colors
- Hero Arts Reactive inks in your desired colors
- Ink blending tool or sponge daubers
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Optional: embellishments like sequins or enamel dots
Step 1: Prepare Your Cardstock
- Choose the colors of cardstock you want to use for your card. You can mix and match to create a unique design.
- Cut a piece of cardstock to create a square-shaped card base. You can choose any size you prefer, but a 5.5″ x 5.5″ card base is a common size.
- Cut additional pieces of cardstock in different colors to create layers for your card. These will be used with the Hero Arts Looking Glass dies to create the design on your card.
Step 3: Die Cut the Looking Glass Layers
- Take the Hero Arts Looking Glass dies and align them on the colored cardstock pieces you cut in the previous step.
- Use a die cutting machine to die cut the shapes. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific die cutting machine.
- Set aside the die cut pieces to be used later in the card design.
Step 4: Ink Blend the Layers
- Take the die cut pieces and use an ink blending tool or sponge daubers to apply Hero Arts Reactive inks onto the edges of the shapes.
- Choose colors that coordinate with your cardstock and create a gradient or ombre effect by blending the inks from dark to light or vice versa.
- Experiment with different ink blending techniques to achieve the desired look for your card.
Step 5: Assemble the Card
- Take the square-shaped card base and adhere the ink blended die cut pieces onto it using adhesive. You can arrange them in a pattern or design of your choice.
- Layer the die cut pieces on top of each other to create dimension and interest.
- Trim any excess cardstock that hangs over the edges of the card base using scissors or a paper trimmer.
- Optional: Add embellishments like sequins or enamel dots to further enhance your card design.
Step 6: Share Your Creation
- Once you are satisfied with your square-shaped card design, take photos and share your creation on your blog or social media using the hashtag #StayCraftyWithABlogNamedHero and tag @ablognamedhero.
And there you have it! A fun and creative tutorial on how to create a square-shaped card using Hero Arts Looking Glass dies and Reactive inks. Have fun experimenting with different colors and designs to make your own unique card. Happy crafting!